AE Business Solutions 2015 VizWars - March Madness
For those of you competing in the 2015 AE Business Solutions VizWars, below are the data sources and description of terms for this years ViZWars.
There are 3 main CSV data sources for this year's VizWars:
- 2015_Game_Stats_March_Madness.csv - This data set contains 2015 March Madness Wins and Losses.
- 2015_Team_Stats_Pre_March_Madness.csv - This data set contains overall team stats going into the 2015 March Madness Tournament. It does not contain tournament data.
- 2015_University_Stats_March_madness_Teams.csv - This data set contains university information, such as location, incoming test scores, and retention for the 68 teams in the 2015 March Madness Tournament.
All three of the above data sources can be join/blended on Unique ID.
There are 2 additional Excel files that can be used in this year's VizWars
- 2015_Individual_Player_Pre_Tournament.xlxs - This data set contains player statistics going into the 2015 March Madness Tournament. It does not contain tournament data.
- NCAA_Mens_March_Madness_Historical_Results_1985-2012.xlsx - This data set has WIns and Losses for March Madness tournaments from 1985 through 2012.
These two data sources above do not have an ID that can be easily blended/joined on.
Contestants must use at least one of the data sets above. Any combination of the data sets is allowed. Contestants are not expected to use all 5 data sources. Blending in external data is alright, but the data above should be the focus of your visualizations.
Data sources above may contain inconsistencies. As an analyst/developer, you are expected to address these inconsistencies.
For those of you less familiar with basketball, below is a list of some of the terminology you may see.
- Seed – a competitor or team in a sports or other tournament who is given a preliminary ranking for the purposes of the draw.
- Round – the NCAA March Madness Tournament has the following rounds in order:
- Opening Round
- Round of 64
- Round of 32
- Sweet 16
- Elite 8
- Final 4
- National Championship
- Region – region is a grouping of 16 teams that are ranked/seeded 1 thru 16. Does not imply geographic region of team playing.
- Neutral Site – a location where neither teams have an apparent home court advantage
- Game Type – Whether the division 1 team played against another division 1 team or a non-division 1 team
- Minutes Rank – ranking of a player on their own team of average minutes played per game
- Stats Terms - http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#blk
- Pos – Position
- G – Guard
- C – Center
- F – Forward
- Combinations of the above can exist
- G – Games
- MP – Minutes Played
- FG – Field Goals
- FGA – Field Goal Attempts
- 2P – 2-Point Field Goals
- 2PA – 2-Point Field Goal Attempts
- 3P – 3-Point Field Goals
- 3PA – 3-Point Attempts
- FT – Free Throws
- FTA – Free Throws Attempt
- ORB – Offensive Rebounds
- DRB – Defensive Rebounds
- TRB – Total Rebounds
- AST – Assists
- STL – Steals
- BLK – Blocks
- TOV – Turnovers
- PF – Personal Fouls
- PTS – Points
- PPG – Points Per Game
- Pos – Position
- ·Strength of Schedule (SOS) – difficulty or ease of opponents compared to other teams opponents
- BPI Rank – College Basketball Power Index (an ranking of College Basketball Teams)
- KenPom Rank – another college basketball ranking system based on a popular website